31st May, 2021
, , Designation
- By building up a smart field sales team, supporting them with professional management, and equipping them with modern technology tools is important.
- The method will bring your field sales strategy to the top level and improve close rate growth as well.
Field sales as the name suggest refers to the selling of products and services face-to-face with the customers in and around their premises. It is the offline direct-to-consumer approach where feet on street representatives literally go out into the field to meet prospective buyers.
Field sales representatives identify prospects, make contact on ground, pursue leads, and ultimately close the deal. Field sales service initiatives include door-to-door marketing, RWA activations, sampling and demo campaigns, in-store branding, and direct sales. While the objectives of field sales campaigns vary by company, some common goals are brand awareness, increased sales at strategic locations, and positive engagement with local buying communities. More often, companies collaborate with a field sales agency to manage their partner program and execute ROI-driven go-to-market strategies.
Key responsibilities of feet on street sales representative
Field marketing reps are generalists who conduct a wide array of services, including product demos, retail audits, or sell directly to customers at shows and events. The primary objective of a field sales representative is to drive brand visibility through on-site, face-to-face interaction with customers. They also act as a liaison between buyers and sellers, facilitating information exchange about products or services in the market.
The FOS sales representative adopt a consultative sales approach to address the clientâs information needs and improve upsell opportunities. Here are a few key responsibilities assigned to them: Â
- Conducting face-to-face meetings with clients on the ground to offer their companyâs product or service.
- Nurturing relationships with current clients by initiating regular meetings, going for casual get together with them, usually on their territory.
- Creating awareness to the potential and existing customers about their product or services by providing demos or tutorials.
- Updating the contract terms with their current or previous clients.
- Keeping records of all the sales leads and customer accounts.
- Regularly attending conferences or trade shows as a chance to build connections and present the companyâs product or service to their potential clients.
- Keeping a watch on the companyâs competitors, new products, and market trends, to understand a customerâs specific needs.
- Aligning sales and marketing departments to achieve the goals of brand development.
Field Sales and Marketing People Etiquettes
Selling products/services to the relevant audience is a form of art, not everyone has this kind of quality within them. Every business prospers on the shoulders of its field sales agency. Being successful in field selling is not just a matter of luck, there are few qualities which one should acquire to achieve their targets. Having said that, there are a few qualities which one to avoid as well. Here are a few dos and donâts that field marketers must keep in mind:
- Respect the work and value the job.
- Having an in-depth knowledge of respective product or service, is a sign of a good salesperson. Also, it is important to stay updated with the latest industry trends.
- Manage and plan market visit schedule and time efficiently. It will help FOS sales reps achieve their sales targets.
- They should try to be creative in their approach towards prospects, for successfully grabbing their attention towards their products or services.
- Mastering sales technologies
- Having a data-driven approach
- Avoid having low self-confidence, as it might reflect in conversations with prospects. The salesperson should always sound confident about their products or services.
- Always remember that customer is more important than achieving the sales targets. A happy customer can bring more leads, so invest time in customers and not just behind closing the numbers.
- Do not show too much eagerness in selling products or services when a customer is losing interest. Instead, ask them valuable questions to engage with them and resolve their problems.
- Target the right set of audiences. Do not waste time and energy on the people who are not part of the companyâs TG.
- Avoid the distractions, which create an obstacle in managing sales repsâ time effectively and prevent them from finishing their tasks on time. Field sales reps should plan their visits in advance. It will help them to be more productive and innovative. Always try not to miss any deadlines, as it does not leave a good impression.
- Do not completely rely on digital way of communication. It is easy to lose the interest of target customers over social media or email. It is always advisable to engage with them through phone calls or meet them personally.
Also read our blog – Denave keeps FoS alive-Knocking down lockdown
Tips for good field sales and marketing strategy
Companies can either field an internal field sales engine or collaborate with a data-driven field marketing agency to execute a field sales service successfully. Here are a few tips to ensure that field sales and marketing strategy is going in the right direction:
Set clear objectives
An effective sales teams are a group of professionals that help the organisation to meet their goals. To get the right one, you should:
- Understand the number of sales representatives required
- Ensure there are enough managers to mentor the salespeople
- There should be a right balance between field sales representatives and managers, this will depend on your companyâs objectives and needs
Have a proper recruiting process in place
Make the ideal candidate profile by listing down the skills, knowledge, and career growth they should possess to ensure successful field sales campaigns.
Always align the sales and marketing functions
As per research reports, about 75% of marketing leads never convert into a sale. One of the biggest reasons is a failure to align the sales and marketing departments, which leads to wasted budget and resources. On the contrary, when sales teams cooperate well, organizations can add value to their entire sales cycle. They can also increase their year-over-year revenue by up to 34%. Make sure that both teams pursue the same goals.
Invest in field sales growth
Donât spare on-field sales tools and resources. On the one hand, outside selling, as a rule, requires more money allocations. You can invest in modernizing your sales technologies, and your efforts will be more likely to pay off.
Analyze field sales performance
Enterprises should establish key field sales metrics to evaluate their performance consistently. It will give insights into what activities are performing and what are not. This information will allow field leaders to optimize their efforts and take informed decisions. For example, by just looking at sales rep performance metrics, companies will be able to make data-backed decisions and improve their sales effectiveness.
Field Sales and marketing is one of the best ways to reach out to the target customers and maximize on-shelf space across markets. Field marketing establishes a direct connection between brands and their customers. It breaks down the communication barrier and engage prospects on a personal level. It helps enterprises gather on-ground data about their products, competitorsâ products, prospective buyers, and key retailers.
Connect with our field sales agency to know more about our services and schedule a free consultation.